U.S. says held talks with Cuba on $100 million offer

[anap_hero_image fallback=”https://th-i.thgim.com/public/incoming/ebe1p5/article70999867.ece/alternates/LANDSCAPE_1200/2026-02-01T221340Z_911057471_RC2FGHAFUFK5_RTRMADP_3_CUBA-USA-DIPLOMAT.JPG”]

The Hindu

U.S. says held talks with Cuba on $100 million offer

U.S. says held talks with Cuba on $100 million offer The aid would be distributed through Catholic Relief Services and Samaritan’s Purse, an evangelical Protestant charity, and not handed over directly to the Cuban government, an official said…

International
May 19, 2026

[anap_share_buttons]

U.S. says held talks with Cuba on $100 million offer

The aid would be distributed through Catholic Relief Services and Samaritan’s Purse, an evangelical Protestant charity, and not handed over directly to the Cuban government, an official said

Published – May 20, 2026 04:57 am IST – Washington

AFPMike Hammer, the acting U.S. ambassador to Havana, met with Foreign Ministry officials, the State Department official said on condition of anonymity, on May 18, 2026.

Mike Hammer, the acting U.S. ambassador to Havana, met with Foreign Ministry officials, the State Department official said on condition of anonymity, on May 18, 2026.
| Photo Credit: Reuters

The United States and Cuba held talks this week on a U.S. offer of $100 million in assistance, which Washington has dangled as an incentive for reforms, a U.S. official said on Tuesday (May 19, 2026).

Mike Hammer, the acting U.S. ambassador to Havana, met on Monday (May 18, 2026) with Foreign Ministry officials, the State Department official said on condition of anonymity.


U.S. weighs drone threat from Cuba: report

“We have been in close coordination with the Cubans. We had a meeting yesterday (Monday) and continue to pursue that proposal aggressively, contrary to some of the lies of the Cuban ministry of foreign affairs,” the official said.

“We continue to urge the regime to accept the proposal and try to prevent interference with the delivery of assistance,” he said.

The aid would be distributed through Catholic Relief Services and Samaritan’s Purse, an evangelical Protestant charity, and not handed over directly to the Cuban government, he said.

“The Cuban regime is sitting on several billions of dollars,” he said. “We would urge them to use that money to actually help the Cuban people invest in their infrastructure instead of hoarding it.”


CIA director visits Cuba as island nation runs out of oil

Secretary of State Marco Rubio, a sworn foe of Havana’s communist government, has publicly offered the $100 million but has demanded that Cuba take steps to open up.

Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez last week said that Havana was open to reviewing the aid proposal, after earlier saying Rubio was lying about the offer.

Cuba has been in the throes of a major economic crisis with persistent energy blackouts after the United States overthrew Venezuela’s leftist leader Nicolas Maduro and ended the flow of free oil from Caracas in exchange for Cuban medical expertise and other services.

With the situation increasingly dire, Cuba — for decades targeted in U.S. espionage — last week took the extraordinary step of welcoming CIA Director John Ratcliffe for talks.

Published – May 20, 2026 04:57 am IST

Source & Attribution

This article was generated from an imported news source and rewritten for clarity and readability. View original source

[anap_related_posts]

  • Related Posts

    Heavy Rain and Floods in China Kill at Least 22

    China’s most intense storm this year set off damaging flash floods in seven provinces, forcing tens of thousands of people to evacuate their homes.

    How Iran Gained Leverage in the War

    Outmatched militarily, Iran used “triangular coercion” by attacking Gulf states and closing the Strait of Hormuz. It points to a long-term U.S. vulnerability.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Modi expresses support for the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Cyprus

    Severe heatwave conditions likely to prevail over parts of India: IMD

    U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrives in Kolkata as part of his four day visit to India

    Demand driving growth, but economic outlook ‘somewhat clouded’ by supply issues: RBI

    Twisha Sharma death case: husband taken into custody, M.P. HC allows second autopsy

    Vadodara to host Vibrant Gujarat Regional Conference in June