Pentagon says it has reduced brigades in Europe from four to three

[anap_hero_image fallback=”https://th-i.thgim.com/public/incoming/k1ijlg/article71000860.ece/alternates/LANDSCAPE_1200/Vance_88481.jpg”]

The Hindu

Pentagon says it has reduced brigades in Europe from four to three

Pentagon says it has reduced brigades in Europe from four to three The reduction in brigade combat teams is the culmination of weeks of anticipation about U.S. force reduction in Europe, and Washington's insistence that its allies on…

International
May 20, 2026

[anap_share_buttons]

Pentagon says it has reduced brigades in Europe from four to three

The reduction in brigade combat teams is the culmination of weeks of anticipation about U.S. force reduction in Europe, and Washington’s insistence that its allies on the continent invest more in their own defense

Updated – May 20, 2026 01:19 pm IST – Washington, United States

AFPVice President JD Vance speaks to reporters during a during a press briefing at the White House, Tuesday, May 19, 2026, in Washington. File

Vice President JD Vance speaks to reporters during a during a press briefing at the White House, Tuesday, May 19, 2026, in Washington. File
| Photo Credit: AP

The Department of Defense said Tuesday (May 19, 2026) it was reducing the number of U.S. troop brigades in Europe from four to three, taking the deployment back to 2021 levels, as Washington pressures the continent to do more for its own defense.

The Pentagon “has reduced the total number of Brigade Combat Teams (BCTs) assigned to Europe from four to three,” it said in a statement. A BCT comprises 4,000-4,700 personnel, according to a Congressional report. The statement said that the reduction was resulting in a “temporary delay” of the deployment of U.S. forces to Poland. That announcement was preceded earlier Tuesday (May 19, 2026) by U.S. Vice President J.D. Vance saying that a planned deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland had been delayed rather than cancelled.


Pentagon says U.S. cost of Iran war nearing $29 billion

“The Department will determine the final disposition of these and other U.S. forces in Europe based on further analysis of U.S. strategic and operational requirements, as well as our allies’ own ability to contribute forces toward Europe’s defense,” the Pentagon statement said.

The reduction in brigade combat teams is the culmination of weeks of anticipation about U.S. force reduction in Europe, and Washington’s insistence that its allies on the continent invest more in their own defense.

U.S. President Donald Trump has appeared determined to punish allies who have failed to back the U.S.-led war against Iran or contribute to a peacekeeping force in the crucial Strait of Hormuz.

The Pentagon announced at the beginning of May that Washington would pull 5,000 troops from Germany.

Published – May 20, 2026 11:32 am IST

Source & Attribution

This article was generated from an imported news source and rewritten for clarity and readability. View original source

[anap_related_posts]

  • Related Posts

    Heavy Rain and Floods in China Kill at Least 22

    China’s most intense storm this year set off damaging flash floods in seven provinces, forcing tens of thousands of people to evacuate their homes.

    How Iran Gained Leverage in the War

    Outmatched militarily, Iran used “triangular coercion” by attacking Gulf states and closing the Strait of Hormuz. It points to a long-term U.S. vulnerability.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Encounter breaks out in J&K’s Rajouri during major search operations

    Marco Rubio in India LIVE: U.S. Secretary of State meets PM Modi at Seva Theerth

    U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio meets PM Modi

    Man reaches Mathura civic body office dressed as cockroach to draw attention to Yamuna pollution

    Financial decisions will rest with elected leaders: Sonam Wangchuk on Ladakh’s agreement with Centre

    Raghav Chadha appointed chairman of Rajya Sabha Committee on Petitions