Indonesia signed letter of intent but made no commitment to U.S. on airspace access: Defence Minister Sjafrie

[anap_hero_image fallback=”https://th-i.thgim.com/public/incoming/3vlv8c/article70996901.ece/alternates/LANDSCAPE_1200/US_Indonesia_1_7_.jpg”]

The Hindu

Indonesia signed letter of intent but made no commitment to U.S. on airspace access: Defence Minister Sjafrie

Indonesia signed letter of intent but made no commitment to U.S. on airspace access: Defence Minister Sjafrie The issue of overflight access created ​controversy in Indonesia last monthUpdated – May 19, 2026 03:56 pm IST – Jakarta Reuters…

International
May 19, 2026

[anap_share_buttons]

Indonesia signed letter of intent but made no commitment to U.S. on airspace access: Defence Minister Sjafrie

The issue of overflight access created ​controversy in Indonesia last month

Updated – May 19, 2026 03:56 pm IST – Jakarta

ReutersIndonesia Defense Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin. File

Indonesia Defense Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin. File
| Photo Credit: AP

Indonesia’s Defence Minister said on Tuesday (May 19, 2026) that he had signed a ​letter of intent (LOI) last month with U.S. Defence ‌Secretary Pete Hegseth on granting U.S. military aircraft ​access to Indonesian airspace, but ⁠said no commitment was made.


Indonesia’s new(ish) aircraft carrier: defence boost or expensive gamble?

“The letter of intent signed in Washington mentioned respecting each country’s territorial integrity, the need ‌for a mechanism if Indonesia agreed to airspace access, and respect for local laws,” ‌Defence Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin told a Parliamentary ‌hearing. “We ⁠made not a single commitment with ⁠the U.S. on airspace. We uphold the Constitution and our National interests,” Mr. Sjafrie said.

The issue of overflight access created ​controversy in Indonesia last month. ‌The Foreign Ministry warned the Defence Ministry that the proposal to give the U.S. military ‘blanket’ permission to fly over Indonesian territory could ‌risk entangling Jakarta in potential South China Sea ​conflicts, Reuters reported.


Hegseth says U.S. ready to share tools to help allies counter ‘aggressive’ China

Mr. Sjafrie said Mr. Hegseth had made the request for the overflight access ⁠last year during an Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) meeting. Mr. Hegseth had cited emergency reasons when ‌he asked for the access, Mr. Sjafrie said without providing further details. A request for comment was sent to the Pentagon. There was no immediate reply, and when the request was sent from Jakarta it was early morning Washington time and ‌outside business hours.

After Mr. Hegseth and Mr. Sjafrie met in ​Washington last month, the Pentagon said the two countries had established a major ⁠defence cooperation partnership and listed a number of ways ⁠in which they would build defence ties. Mr. Sjafrie said the partnership includes the modernisation of Indonesia’s ‌military, but “it does not mention any military equipment”. He said the U.S. would help ​train Indonesian soldiers.

Published – May 19, 2026 02:46 pm IST

Source & Attribution

This article was generated from an imported news source and rewritten for clarity and readability. View original source

[anap_related_posts]

  • Related Posts

    Heavy Rain and Floods in China Kill at Least 22

    China’s most intense storm this year set off damaging flash floods in seven provinces, forcing tens of thousands of people to evacuate their homes.

    How Iran Gained Leverage in the War

    Outmatched militarily, Iran used “triangular coercion” by attacking Gulf states and closing the Strait of Hormuz. It points to a long-term U.S. vulnerability.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    ₹350 crore investment to generate 2,300 employment opportunities in Bihar

    Tension grips Malayidamthuruth amid intense protests

    RTA suspends permits of 28 private buses

    Frequent disruption of ro-ro services give harrowing time to commuters

    Govt. to soon bring in an AI policy to transform Bihar: CM

    Public outcry grows louder over power cuts in U.P.; Oppn. parties call it structural failure