4 dead, 8 hurt as gunman opens fire in southern Turkiye: reports

4 dead, 8 hurt as gunman opens fire in southern Turkiye: reports

The Hindu

4 dead, 8 hurt as gunman opens fire in southern Turkiye: reports

4 dead, 8 hurt as gunman opens fire in southern Turkiye: reports At least two people were killed when the assailant opened fire at a restaurant, with the two others killed elsewhere and the assailant fleeing in a…

International
May 18, 2026

4 dead, 8 hurt as gunman opens fire in southern Turkiye: reports

At least two people were killed when the assailant opened fire at a restaurant, with the two others killed elsewhere and the assailant fleeing in a car

Published – May 18, 2026 11:21 pm IST – Istanbul

AFPRepresentative image.

Representative image.
| Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto

Four people were killed and another eight wounded when a gunman opened fire near the southern Turkish city of Mersin on Monday, the DHA and IHA news agencies reported.

At least two people were killed when the assailant opened fire at a restaurant, with the two others killed elsewhere and the assailant fleeing in a car, DHA said.

The shooting occurred near Tarsus, about 40 kilometres (25 miles) northeast of Mersin, prompting a widespread police manhunt to locate the shooter that also involved helicopters, it said.

There was no immediate comment from police or other officials. DHA said the shooter was a 17-year-old armed with a shotgun.

Among those killed in the shooting were the restaurant owner and one of his employees, IHA said, identifying the other two as a young man grazing livestock and a truck driver.

The violence came a month after two shooting attacks by teenagers rocked Turkiye.

In the first incident, 16 people were injured, while the second attack claimed 10 lives, most of them young schoolchildren.

Published – May 18, 2026 11:21 pm IST

Source & Attribution

This article was generated from an imported news source and rewritten for clarity and readability. View original source

  • Related Posts

    Israel PM says close to killing all architects of October 7 attack

    Israel PM says close to killing all architects of October 7 attack Benjamin Netanyahu’s remarks followed the Israeli military’s announcement that Ezzedine Al-Haddad, commander of Hamas’s armed wing, had been killed in an airstrike in Gaza on May…

    Iran-Israel war highlights: Trump says ‘clock is ticking’ for Iran

    Iran-Israel war highlights: Trump says ‘clock is ticking’ for Iran UAE reports drone strike at nuclear power plant as Iran war deadlock endures Updated – May 18, 2026 05:53 am IST The Hindu Bureau U.S. President Donald Trump….

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    West Bengal Police reopens 59 cases linked to 2021 post-poll violence, registers 181 fresh FIRs

    Why you should care about 2 power companies merging. Hint: affordability

    Jailed MP Rashid granted bail, will attend final rites of deceased father: AIP

    Barcelona wins in Lewandowski’s farewell, Sevilla avoids relegation despite loss to Real Madrid

    Neymar picked for Brazil’s World Cup squad despite doubts on fitness

    ‘SNL’ just wrapped its 51st season: It’s time to cruelly rank its musical guests