One tests positive for hantavirus, Canadian national health agency confirms

One tests positive for hantavirus, Canadian national health agency confirms

The Hindu

One tests positive for hantavirus, Canadian national health agency confirms

One tests positive for hantavirus, Canadian national health agency confirms Canada’s national health agency confirms that one of four Canadians returning from a cruise ship with a hantavirus outbreak has tested positiveUpdated – May 18, 2026 08:14 am…

International
May 17, 2026

One tests positive for hantavirus, Canadian national health agency confirms

Canada’s national health agency confirms that one of four Canadians returning from a cruise ship with a hantavirus outbreak has tested positive

Updated – May 18, 2026 08:14 am IST – VANCOUVER, British Columbia

APA passenger of the cruise ship MV Hondius, which was affected by a hantavirus outbreak, boards a EuroAtlantic Airways aircraft bound for Canada at Tenerife Sud airport, Canary Islands, Spain, on May 10, 2026.

A passenger of the cruise ship MV Hondius, which was affected by a hantavirus outbreak, boards a EuroAtlantic Airways aircraft bound for Canada at Tenerife Sud airport, Canary Islands, Spain, on May 10, 2026.
| Photo Credit: Reuters

Canada’s national health agency on Sunday (May 17, 2026) confirmed that one of four Canadians who returned home from a cruise ship hit with a hantavirus outbreak has tested positive for the virus.

The Public Health Agency of Canada confirmed the positive test a day after the public health officer for the province of British Columbia said the person had received a “presumptive positive” but further testing would be conducted at the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg.


Canadian cruise passenger gets presumptive positive hantavirus test result after ship outbreak

“One individual’s sample was confirmed positive for hantavirus,” the national agency said in a statement.

A second individual who was a travelling partner of the confirmed case was confirmed negative, the statement said. Both people, a couple in their 70s from the Yukon, are in a hospital in Victoria.

The four Canadian cruise passengers returned to British Columbia last Sunday (May 10, 2026). Besides the couple, there was a person in their 70s from Vancouver Island and a British Columbia person in their 50s who lives abroad. All are in isolation.


French hantavirus patient is critically ill, on artificial lung as total cases grow to 11

Three people have died since the hantavirus outbreak began on the cruise ship MV Hondius. The Canadian patient is the 10th person from the ship to test positive.

Among the three who died are a Dutch couple who health officials believe were the first exposed to the virus while visiting South America.

The Canadian public health agency said it is taking a precautionary approach to ensure citizens are protected.


Hantavirus Ahoy!

“The overall risk to the general population in Canada from the Andes hantavirus outbreak linked to the MV Hondius cruise ship remains low at this time,” the statement said. “All confirmed cases to date have been passengers or crew on the MV Hondius cruise ship.”

The agency said it provided the information about the positive case to the World Health Organization and will share information to support the ongoing global investigation of the outbreak.

Published – May 17, 2026 11:57 pm IST

Source & Attribution

This article was generated from an imported news source and rewritten for clarity and readability. View original source

  • Related Posts

    Israel PM says close to killing all architects of October 7 attack

    Israel PM says close to killing all architects of October 7 attack Benjamin Netanyahu’s remarks followed the Israeli military’s announcement that Ezzedine Al-Haddad, commander of Hamas’s armed wing, had been killed in an airstrike in Gaza on May…

    Iran-Israel war highlights: Trump says ‘clock is ticking’ for Iran

    Iran-Israel war highlights: Trump says ‘clock is ticking’ for Iran UAE reports drone strike at nuclear power plant as Iran war deadlock endures Updated – May 18, 2026 05:53 am IST The Hindu Bureau U.S. President Donald Trump….

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    West Bengal Police reopens 59 cases linked to 2021 post-poll violence, registers 181 fresh FIRs

    Why you should care about 2 power companies merging. Hint: affordability

    Jailed MP Rashid granted bail, will attend final rites of deceased father: AIP

    Barcelona wins in Lewandowski’s farewell, Sevilla avoids relegation despite loss to Real Madrid

    Neymar picked for Brazil’s World Cup squad despite doubts on fitness

    ‘SNL’ just wrapped its 51st season: It’s time to cruelly rank its musical guests