Hantavirus-stricken cruise ship expected to arrive in Netherlands

Hantavirus-stricken cruise ship expected to arrive in Netherlands

The Hindu

Hantavirus-stricken cruise ship expected to arrive in Netherlands

Hantavirus-stricken cruise ship expected to arrive in Netherlands Crew members who are unable to return home will be quarantined in the Netherlands, the Dutch Health Ministry said last weekUpdated – May 18, 2026 01:16 pm IST – Rotterdam,…

International
May 18, 2026

Hantavirus-stricken cruise ship expected to arrive in Netherlands

Crew members who are unable to return home will be quarantined in the Netherlands, the Dutch Health Ministry said last week

Updated – May 18, 2026 01:16 pm IST – Rotterdam, Netherlands

APPreparations are underway prior to the arrival of the MV Hondius cruise ship at the Port of Rotterdam, Netherlands, on May 18, 2026.

Preparations are underway prior to the arrival of the MV Hondius cruise ship at the Port of Rotterdam, Netherlands, on May 18, 2026.
| Photo Credit: AP

A cruise ship hit by a deadly hantavirus outbreak is scheduled to arrive in the port city of Rotterdam in the Netherlands on Monday morning (May 18, 2026).

The MV Hondius has spent the past six days sailing from the Canary Islands, where the remaining passengers were escorted off the vessel by personnel in full-body protective gear and boarded flights to more than 20 countries to enter quarantine.

The outbreak on the ship has reached 11 cases, nine of which have been confirmed, according to the World Health Organisation. Three passengers have died, including a Dutch couple who health officials believe were the first exposed to the virus while visiting South America.

The vessel has made the journey from Tenerife up the coast of Africa and Europe with 25 crew members and two medical personnel. According to the ship operator Oceanwide Expeditions, no one on board is experiencing any symptoms.

Crew members who are unable to return home will be quarantined in the Netherlands, the Dutch Health Ministry said last week. Some two dozen passengers and crew are already in quarantine in the Netherlands, after arriving in the country on a series of flights over the previous two weeks.

The Public Health Agency of Canada said Sunday (May 17, 2026) that one of the four Canadians in isolation after leaving the ship had tested positive. The case was not yet reflected in the WHO data.

Eighteen Americans are currently under observation at specialised healthcare facilities in the United States designed to treat people with dangerous infectious diseases.

Dr. Bonnie Henry, the public health officer for the province of British Columbia, said Saturday (May 16, 2026) the person had received a “presumptive positive” but further testing would be conducted at the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg.

After everyone on board has disembarked, the ship will be decontaminated based on Dutch public health guidelines. “Personal protective measures are being taken to ensure that the cleaners do not need to quarantine after the cleaning,” the Health Ministry said in a letter to the Dutch parliament last week.

Public health officials will inspect the vessel before it is allowed to sail again. The hantavirus outbreak aboard the MV Hondius is the first known case on a cruise ship.

The Dutch company that owns the cruise ship said it doesn’t foresee any changes to its operations. It has an Arctic cruise setting sail from Keflavik, Iceland, on May 29.

France’s Pasteur Institute said on Saturday (May 16, 2026) it has fully sequenced the Andes virus detected in a French passenger from the MV Hondius cruise ship and found that it matched viruses already known in South America, with no evidence so far of new characteristics that would make it more transmissible or more dangerous.

Published – May 18, 2026 12:41 pm IST

Source & Attribution

This article was generated from an imported news source and rewritten for clarity and readability. View original source

  • Related Posts

    Israel PM says close to killing all architects of October 7 attack

    Israel PM says close to killing all architects of October 7 attack Benjamin Netanyahu’s remarks followed the Israeli military’s announcement that Ezzedine Al-Haddad, commander of Hamas’s armed wing, had been killed in an airstrike in Gaza on May…

    Iran-Israel war highlights: Trump says ‘clock is ticking’ for Iran

    Iran-Israel war highlights: Trump says ‘clock is ticking’ for Iran UAE reports drone strike at nuclear power plant as Iran war deadlock endures Updated – May 18, 2026 05:53 am IST The Hindu Bureau U.S. President Donald Trump….

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    West Bengal Police reopens 59 cases linked to 2021 post-poll violence, registers 181 fresh FIRs

    Why you should care about 2 power companies merging. Hint: affordability

    Jailed MP Rashid granted bail, will attend final rites of deceased father: AIP

    Barcelona wins in Lewandowski’s farewell, Sevilla avoids relegation despite loss to Real Madrid

    Neymar picked for Brazil’s World Cup squad despite doubts on fitness

    ‘SNL’ just wrapped its 51st season: It’s time to cruelly rank its musical guests