U.S. to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in Democratic Republic of Congo infected

U.S. to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in Democratic Republic of Congo infected

The Hindu

U.S. to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in Democratic Republic of Congo infected

U.S. to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in Democratic Republic of Congo infected The measures shared by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) come as the World Health Organisation has declared the deadly…

International
May 18, 2026

U.S. to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in Democratic Republic of Congo infected

The measures shared by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) come as the World Health Organisation has declared the deadly Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) an international health emergency

Published – May 19, 2026 05:01 am IST – Washington

AFPA Congolese health worker checks the temperature to screen a traveller at the Grande Barrier border following confirmation of an Ebola outbreak. File

A Congolese health worker checks the temperature to screen a traveller at the Grande Barrier border following confirmation of an Ebola outbreak. File
| Photo Credit: Reuters

The United States said Monday (May 18, 2026) it is bolstering precautions to prevent the spread of Ebola, including screening air travelers from outbreak-hit areas and temporarily suspending visa services.

The measures shared by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) come as the World Health Organisation has declared the deadly Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) an international health emergency.


Collaboration with India will help counter ‘future pandemics’, says African Union as Ebola outbreak spreads

In a briefing, Satish Pillai, the Health Agency’s Ebola response incident manager, told journalists one American in the DRC had contracted the virus following exposure related “to their work” there.

“The person developed symptoms over the weekend and tested positive late Sunday,” Mr. Pillai said, adding that efforts were underway to transport the individual to Germany for treatment.

The official added the United States was attempting to evacuate six additional people for health monitoring.

Mr. Pillai said about 25 people are working in the U.S. field office in the DRC, and that the CDC was fulfilling a request to send an additional senior technical coordinator.


Why has the WHO declared a PHEIC over the Ebola outbreak in Africa ?

“At this time, CDC assesses the immediate risk to the general U.S. public as low, but we will continue to evaluate the evolving situation and may adjust public health measures as additional information becomes available,” the health agency said in a statement.

In addition to screening at airports, the CDC said it was implementing entry restrictions on non-U.S. passport holders if they had traveled to Uganda, DRC or South Sudan within the past 21 days.

The U.S. Embassy in Kampala, Uganda, said it had temporarily paused all visa services, and that impacted applicants had been notified.

Mr. Trump said he was “concerned” by the outbreak but that “I think that it’s been confined right now to Africa.”

Criticism of U.S. response

There is no vaccine or specific treatment for the strain responsible for the current spread of the highly contagious hemorrhagic fever.

Ninety-one reported deaths are suspected to have been caused by the current surge in cases, according to the latest figures released on Sunday by Congolese Health Minister Samuel-Roger Kamba.


Watch: Ebola outbreak in DR Congo’s Ituri and Uganda: 80 deaths reported

Around 350 suspected cases have been reported. Most of those affected are aged between 20 and 39, and more than 60% are women.

The United States under President Donald Trump formally withdrew from the World Health Organization (WHO) this year.

In recent days, U.S. officials have avoided questions about how the administration’s cutting of the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) — key in responding to previous Ebola outbreaks — has impacted current efforts to monitor and manage the virus’s spread.

CDC officials have emphasized they are collaborating with international partners and health officials in impacted countries.

The public health measures announced Monday (May 18, 2026) will include continued “deployment of CDC personnel to support outbreak containment efforts in affected regions” as well as assistance with contact tracing and laboratory testing, the agency said.


Centre closely monitoring Ebola situation in Central Africa: Health Ministry

And the U.S. State Department said in a statement Monday it had mobilized $13 million in aid for “immediate response efforts.”

But Matthew Kavanagh, director of the Georgetown University Center for Global Health Policy and Politics, said the US response thus far was “disappointing” and called travel bans “more theater than effective public health measures.”

“The administration claimed it could negotiate bilateral deals and replace the capacity of WHO with domestic efforts. This outbreak clearly shows that is a failed strategy,” he told AFP.

He said during previous Ebola outbreaks, coordinated efforts between USAID, the CDC and U.S.-funded nonprofits led to rapid response and containment.

This time, “we’re weeks into an outbreak and only finding out about it after hundreds of cases and major spread, including to the capital city of Uganda,” Kavanagh said, adding that the Trump administration was “playing catch-up.”

Published – May 19, 2026 05:01 am IST

Source & Attribution

This article was generated from an imported news source and rewritten for clarity and readability. View original source

  • Related Posts

    Elon Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late

    Elon Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late The swift decision caps a three-week trial that saw a parade of tech titans take the standUpdated – May 19, 2026 08:54 am IST AFP Had Elon…

    Donald Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement

    Donald Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement The U.S. President said there had been a “very positive development” and that Arab allies said a deal was near that would leave Iran without nuclear…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Iran-Israel war LIVE: Israel military issues fresh evacuation warnings for south Lebanon

    ‘Off Campus’ series review: A chaotic, charming, and addictive Hockey romance

    WHO chief says ‘deeply concerned’ by ‘scale and speed’ of Democratic Republic Congo’s Ebola outbreak

    Tamil Nadu government to establish Talent Research Wing for meritorious sportspersons: Minister Aadhav Arjuna

    Supreme Court extends tenure of all retiring tribunal heads, members till September 8

    Trump’s New $1.8 Billion Pot of Money, and a Deadly Mosque Attack in California