Teenage gunmen open fire on San Diego mosque, killing 3 men and then themselves

Teenage gunmen open fire on San Diego mosque, killing 3 men and then themselves

The Hindu

Teenage gunmen open fire on San Diego mosque, killing 3 men and then themselves

Teenage gunmen open fire on San Diego mosque, killing 3 men and then themselves Authorities earlier said they believe multiple people have been shot at the Islamic Centre about 9 miles (14 km) north of downtown San DiegoUpdated…

International
May 18, 2026

Teenage gunmen open fire on San Diego mosque, killing 3 men and then themselves

Authorities earlier said they believe multiple people have been shot at the Islamic Centre about 9 miles (14 km) north of downtown San Diego

Updated – May 19, 2026 10:44 am IST – San Diego

APA crowd gathers near the scene of a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego on May 18, 2026, in San Diego

A crowd gathers near the scene of a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego on May 18, 2026, in San Diego
| Photo Credit: AP

Two teenage shooters opened fire at a San Diego mosque in the U.S. on Monday (May 18, 2026) and killed three men before killing themselves a few blocks away, police said.

The attack at the Islamic Centre of San Diego is being investigated as a hate crime, San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said at a news conference at a neighbourhood park across from the mosque.

He said the “circumstances that led up to this” would come out in the days ahead.

Mr. Wahl said later that officers had been talking to one of the teenagers’ mothers earlier in the day after she had contacted police around 9:40 a.m. to say her son was missing along with multiple weapons and her vehicle.

A child holds his parents hands as they leave the mosque, at the scene of a shooting at the Islamic Center in San Diego

A child holds his parents hands as they leave the mosque, at the scene of a shooting at the Islamic Center in San Diego
| Photo Credit:
Reuters

“She was beginning to develop a bigger picture as to what she was dealing with and was conveying that to our folks, and we were trying to put that together and get out in front of this as quickly as we could,” Mr. Wahl said.

The mother also found a note, Mr. Wahl said. He did not disclose its contents but said of the case, “There was definitely hate rhetoric that was involved,” though there was no specific threat against the Islamic Center of San Diego.

Mr. Wahl said the teenager whose mother contacted police was a student at Madison High School, about a mile away from the Islamic Centre. Police have not released the names of the teenagers.

Guard who saved lives killed

Among those killed was a mosque security guard, who police believe “played a pivotal role” in keeping the attack from being “much worse,” Mr. Wahl said.

Later, he said authorities continued to review the security guard’s response, but “it’s fair to say his actions were heroic.” “Undoubtedly he saved lives today,” Mr. Wahl said.

The centre is the largest mosque in San Diego County and includes the Al Rashid School that offers courses in Arabic language, Islamic studies and the Quran for students ages 5 and up, according to its website.

Two men embrace at the scene of a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego

Two men embrace at the scene of a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego
| Photo Credit:
AP

“All of the kids are safe,” Mr. Wahl said, appearing emotional. “Our hearts go out to the families that are in this moment being notified of what has happened to their loved ones.”

Police responded within four minutes of being called, Wahl said. As they arrived, gunshots rang out a few blocks away where a landscaper was shot at but uninjured. The shooters were found dead in a vehicle stopped in the middle of a road nearby, he said.

Aerial TV footage showed more than a dozen children holding hands and being walked out of the parking lot of the center as it was surrounded by scores of police vehicles. The white mosque is in a neighbourhood of homes, apartments and strip malls with Middle Eastern restaurants and markets.

Parents were directed to a nearby area to retrieve their children.

‘Outrageous’

The mosque’s director, Imam Taha Hassane called it “extremely outrageous to target a place of worship.” “All the places of worship in our beautiful city should always be protected,” he said.

He added that the centre focused on interfaith relations and community building, and that a group of non-Muslims had been touring the mosque earlier Monday to learn about Islam.

The Islamic Center’s website says its mission is to not only serve the Muslim population but also “work with the larger community to serve the less fortunate, to educate, and to better our nation.” Five daily prayers are held there, and the mosque works with other organisations and people of all faiths on social causes.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations, one of the largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy groups in the U.S., condemned the shooting.

“No one should ever fear for their safety while attending prayers or studying at an elementary school,” said CAIR-San Diego Executive Director Tazheen Nizam in a statement. “We are working to learn more about this incident and we encourage everyone to keep this community in your prayers.” Gov Gavin Newsom’s office said he was being briefed.

“We are grateful to the first responders on the scene working to protect the community and urge everyone to follow guidance from local authorities,” his office posted on the social platform X. 

Published – May 19, 2026 02:50 am IST

Source & Attribution

This article was generated from an imported news source and rewritten for clarity and readability. View original source

  • Related Posts

    Elon Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late

    Elon Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late The swift decision caps a three-week trial that saw a parade of tech titans take the standUpdated – May 19, 2026 08:54 am IST AFP Had Elon…

    U.S. to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in Democratic Republic of Congo infected

    U.S. to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in Democratic Republic of Congo infected The measures shared by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) come as the World Health Organisation has declared the deadly…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Iran-Israel war LIVE: Israel military issues fresh evacuation warnings for south Lebanon

    ‘Off Campus’ series review: A chaotic, charming, and addictive Hockey romance

    WHO chief says ‘deeply concerned’ by ‘scale and speed’ of Democratic Republic Congo’s Ebola outbreak

    Tamil Nadu government to establish Talent Research Wing for meritorious sportspersons: Minister Aadhav Arjuna

    Supreme Court extends tenure of all retiring tribunal heads, members till September 8

    Trump’s New $1.8 Billion Pot of Money, and a Deadly Mosque Attack in California